The next version of BlogEngine.NET is well on its way and many new features have already been added. We are releasing a roadmap soon for the 1.2 release, but before that, I’d like to give you a little update on the features already done.
- Extension model (how to write extensions for BlogEngine.NET 1.2)
- Send attachments from contact page (can be turned off/on)
- When adding a comment, a visitor can now be notified of future comments by mail
- The archive adjusts depending on comments and ratings are enabled
- Show only the post excerpt on the front page and other post lists (categories, search, tags etc.)
- Intelligent error 404 page as described on A List Apart
- Enforce, remove or ignore the www sub domain from settings
- Theme previews
- Timed auto saving of posts when in the editor (every 5 seconds)
- A slug is added to posts so the URL doesn’t change when the title does
- Added support for SSL on e-mail settings
- A lot of bugs have been fixed and other small updates applied
Update your custom theme
Because of the new extension model that allows developers to write extensions that change the text of a post when it is served on a page, you will have to update your theme for the extensions to work. Your theme will not break without the change; you will simply not be able to make use of those kinds of extensions.
In the PostView.ascx control in your custom theme folder, you should replace
Now there is absolutely no reason not to write cool extensions anymore. Go get the latest code on CodePlex and get going.